Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Pigs, bunk bed, and garage doors





Gas prices...... oh my....

So much snow!
(Gas is at a gloriously low $2.69 last time I filled up in the Los Angeles, area..... hmmmm. Ew.)


I miss the warm weather. We were snowed-in Sunday (church was cancelled), and it’s been abysmally cold all last week. But it’s supposed to be warmer this week, so we'll see what that actually means. I have no love for the snow.  



I was also very sick with a sinus infection on Friday/Saturday, so we got fairly little done those days. I'm on the mend now though, so I should be less nose-drippy soon. That being said, migraines still abound(along with the occasional vertigo- just not anywhere near like the time it put me on the ground) so the considerations of just putting myself out of my misery still continue. 



Thanks for the box and quinoa. :) (Such a good daughter to let me know it arrived!) 



Fun story time! We were knocking one night, and there was this house with an enclosed porch. Rather than entering, as it seemed like inappropriate, we just knocked on the porch door. someone evidently heard us, because a lady came to the house door (which mind you, had a huge window in it, so it’s not like she couldn't see through it), stuck her head out the door, laid eyes on us through the porch door window (also very large), screamed, nearly tripped over herself in her panic to get back into the house. We stood there, dumbfounded, until a man came out the house door and came to the porch door, to tell us that we had scared his wife and tonight was not a good night, and then promptly went back into the house. We literally had no opportunity to say anything. Not a word from us. Wow.



So we did our best to stifle our giggling on our way to the next house, which apparently was a college kid house. A young man answered the door and over his shoulder I caught sight of a couch and a plywood rig to hold a second couch over it. It of course was almost right against the ceiling and in danger of hitting the ceiling fan, but alas, college life. I continued on our conversation with this guy, who opened the door farther to involve the roommate sitting on a third couch eating his dinner on the coffee table. This is when Sister B caught sight of the bunk bed couch setup, and started to laugh. Hm…okay. She then exclaimed "A pig!" And I'm thinking “what?” So I look around the first guy to see a mini pig trying to eat the guy's dinner, as if he were a cat or something. The second guy was shooing him away. Sister B can't handle this - she's laughing and can't form words. Whelp, guess I'm on my own. We ascertain they aren't interested in learning about Jesus, nor do they know anyone who wants to hear about Jesus, and we leave. 



The next day, we were knocking, and we came upon a house with a garage door (which was open), a door into the garage, and the front door. The path to the front door was not plowed, so obviously it was not in use and it seemed dumb to knock on the door into the garage because the garage door was open and no one was in there to hear us (and certainly no one in the house would hear us). But we spot a doorbell next to the door into the house inside the garage and we're like... A doorbell inside the garage? Okay. So I walk up and I hit the doorbell. GRAVE MISTAKE. It wasn't a door bell. It was doorbell hooked up to the garage door opener. I freaked out, hit it again to make it stop closing, and bounded back out to the driveway and tried to collect my scattered thoughts. A disgruntled sick old lady came to the door and was not interested in hearing more about Christ. Sad.



Our investigator is doing great; we're working with him and have a date set for the 24th; he'll be squared away and baptized then. We're also now working with a lady whose brother was a member before he passed away.

Check out the snow and the gas prices! What is this nonsense?  All my love,  Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment