Monday, October 6, 2014

Conference Weekend October 2014




We made her Gumbo recipe and made the mistake of using authentic Andouille sausage as suggested by the original recipe....TOO HOT!!  She had it made with Polish sausage....we'll try that version next time.    Indeed, it is much, much less spicy when you switch the sausage and take out half the Cayenne. Crockpot recipes are great. We wish we could do them in the apartment. No crockpot. Sad day.
It's getting cold again here, but I've been keeping mostly warm. It was suggested to me that we go check out a local farming store for cold weather gear, so maybe we'll actually go this week, unlike we had planned, but never did.
 
I went to the temple this week, and it was good- I'm still in wonder of how small and colorful it is inside. I haven't had much chance to wander- my companion keeps telling me no- so I've yet to see the baptistery or the sealing rooms, but I imagine they're as beautiful as the rest.  (Nauvoo, Illinois Temple) I miss Los Angeles temple (Los Angeles Temple)  quite a bit.
Conference (General Conference, twice yearly, is a broadcast of the General church leadership from Salt Lake City) was a mostly good experience. I'm never totally happy I guess. Saturday was great in that I was just engrossed in it and got a few of the questions I took with me answered. Just generally uplifting.
My favorite was probably Jorg Klebingat's talk on how to take care of ourselves and to overcome doubt. It was Saturday second session. Allan F. Packer's talk about spiritual passports and the two different talks about the sacrament (James J. Hamula and Cheryl A. Esplin) were also very thought provoking. (Click here to access ALL of the conference talks from the whole weekend!)

The Mormon videos are pretty great. I really recommend Mormon messages (which you can watch on lds.org or mormonchannel.org), especially videos like 'patterns of light' by Elder Bednar. Really good stuff.
Learning to focus on the good and cling to it, because there are plenty of things to be unhappy about. Really trying to figure out how this accessing the Atonement thing works for me, and being converted to the work and embracing the work and what have you. Much work to do, much to evaluate, much to learn.
I love you, I miss you
Christine 

We love and miss her, too.  Mom made some wool gloves (with her favorite - OWLS) and sent them a few days ago....she hasn't received them yet.  A hat is almost done, and a scarf will be next. Hoping they will keep her at least a little warm........although even these owls may not keep her warm enough.
Owl gloves



1 comment:

  1. Those gloves are the cutest EVER!! What a nice (and extremely talented) Mom! I loved the same conference talk. She sounds great.

    ReplyDelete