Monday, September 29, 2014

Mosquitos, Conference, and warm weather - again


THERE ARE SO MANY MOSQUITOS HERE I’VE NEVER BEEN BIT SO MUCH IN MY LIFE. We've got a bottle of Bug Soother (a really nice smelling DEET free bug repellant), but I don't use it when I think we're only doing home visits and stuff. So I've also got a bug bite pen (by Benadryl) and am learning the self-control not to scratch.
 
There's a lady here who does essential oils, and she gave me a few samples. Wow. It’s not a miracle thing, but it’s nice to have something that works pretty well for motion sickness/nausea. I'm sleeping a little better too. Their icy hot equivalent (it smells almost the same too) works really well. \o/ Who knew? Her family loves to take care of us. So much love from all these families. I'm told we're being really spoiled! I think I'll be in for some surprises when we finally transfer.

So much conference. We attended the Women's General Broadcast (the church General Leadership in Salt Lake spoke to the women of the church) on Saturday, and there was a dinner beforehand. Excellent stuff, and many ladies to commune with. One of our returning actives got to start bonding with some of the other active ladies in the ward over owning chickens and having herb gardens. Iowa. (Her dad suggested that she could tell the women that the herbs would be tasty with the chickens, in a pot).  I have to take notes while watching Conference because I'm trying desperately not to draw. I get a lot more out of it that way I think. :X I hate it when I look back and realizing that my leadership was right. UGHHH. This upcoming weekend is General Conference when the General Leadership in Salt Lake will speak the LDS Saints world wide. 


We will be watching all 8 hours of conference, at the church building. We're supposed to get as many of our investigators (and anyone else who can't watch it at home but wants to watch it live/not wait for the conference ensign (all the Conference talks are transcribed in a church magazine called the Ensign - or we can watch/read the talks on www.LDS.org) ) out to it as possible, but 8 hours is a long time (4 sessions - 2 on Saturday, and 2 on Sunday - each 2 hrs long = 8 hours). I assume the goal is to get them out for at least some of it.
We had one more baptism this weekend, as kind of a surprise. Buddy, the younger brother of Jaelynn (who was baptized last week), told us mid-week last he wanted to be baptized the 27th. We were astonished, but after some scrambling, it came together. Thank God for that handful of supportive families in wards. So that brings my baptism count up to 3 in 2 transfers. It's awesome (the mission goal is at least 1 per transfer), but somewhat tempered by the fact that we weren't able to get 3 others who had been on date for the last few weeks to keep those commitments.
I haven't yet received the cold weather gear (cold weather clothes were sent a week or so ago, because the weather had been getting colder....for a while), but it’s warm again here (it was 87+ yesterday), so I'm not terribly concerned. I'm excited to see what you've made! I promised, and mentioned, a few knitted things will be in the mail soon) I'm finally sending my glasses home this week (they need some lovin'), now I finally remembered to do that.
I love you too! Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment