Monday, September 8, 2014

Blessings, weather, and Investigators

They're not doing that out here , so it might be a specific mission thing. Part of the sisters' practice is to learn to control conversation though, so while it is helpful to curb it, it is also good practice- some people just talk and talk. (The Sisters are teaching the families in the ward - including us right now)

Glad Katie's gotten her Patriarchal Blessing (this is a special Priesthood blessing given by the Patriarch of the ward that members of the church can get that is direct revelation from Father in Heaven for them only - it is a sacred and special thing to know that Father wants to give us blessings if we live righteously). I hope it's given her new direction. Remind her frequently to read it. I definitely should have more than I did as a teenager. Remind Nick and Jake too.

Transfers this week will be fine in that I will have Sister Boone two transfers- since I am brand new, and am still being trained(we have a 12 week course - she has been out for about 6 weeks), she and I will most likely not be separated or moved. But we should find out later today if something weird happens.

The weather has been really good the last few days, just on the underside of chilly. It’s been in the high 60s during the day, and cold during the night. The church buildings have been really cold the last couple of times too, so I guess I'm just meant to practice layering up.

We have a baptism this weekend for a 10 year old named Jaelyn. Her brother won't because he's afraid of water, but two brothers in the ward will be working with him on overcoming it(we hope we can get him going for the 27th- we'll see how that goes). There's another on the 20th (Ana), and our latest one is Sue on the 11th. She wants to complete the Book of Mormon first, but we'll see.

We're teaching a couple of other investigators, and each one I care about, so when things don't work out for one reason another, I'm disappointed, sad. The mission president says this is normal, and good that I get attached, but I'm definitely not enthused by it. Getting your heart broken on a regular basis doesn't do one any favors. But of course there is much rejoicing when promises are kept, covenants are made, and people are edified. Its emotionally exhausting, so I go to bed ready to sleep (now if only I would!). The days blend together, and I can hardly believe that my first transfer day is almost here. Surely I should be several transfers in by now! Surely it is too soon to see my first transfer. Evidently I'm very ambivalent. I don't know. I'm not ready for winter, though now I have two pair of alpaca socks. We will be shopping for snow gear this week or next.
Much love to all.

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment