Tuesday, May 17, 2016

new investigators and friends


We have had rain and sun and rain but no hail. Tender mercies, I suppose. The longer it stays cool the longer I'm not cooking. But we are just putting off the inevitable.

Things go well here- we found 3 new people to work with this week. Hopefully we actually see them again, but that is the running gag. One was a retired lady who let us in, we taught a great 1st lesson I feel like (though she was extremely adept at deflecting questions), she accepted a baptismal invite, and then declined to have us back the following week to follow up. Weird. Some conversating at least let us come back for a few minutes to see if she actually kept any of the things she committed to (reading/praying about the Book of Mormon, etc).

One investigator had us over for dinner (Her 13 and 15 year olds are members- she's not. Lots to work through, I guess.). She's inviting the spirit back into her house, as we have another meal scheduled this week as well.

There's a lady here who has a 3 story house and a bunch of squatters she lets live there because they have nowhere else to go. It's... Wild. She's a hoarder but she recognizes it and is actively trying to change, but she had a heart attack 2 months ago and isn't really the most mobile. The house has to be like 75 years old, too. We showered after we worked for a few hours at her house.

Speaking of experiences that should build character but I wish would stop happening, it seems either the lactose intolerance is getting more aggressive or its branching out into other normal things, such as maybe gluten. Me and the porcelain throne are friends. I am apparently not allowed to have other friends. I feel disgusting but we are trying to figure out what is a passable meal for me. So far we have rice. We're trying to branch out. As I write, I'm pretty light headed, which feels like my vertigo. I really can't win here. (Mom is sending a book that helped other family members – an elimination diet to see what is ailing her)

Oh, while knocking yesterday we met this Catholic lady from Boston with a very strong accent. She was lovely. She complimented me on my outfit and described me as "good girl meets steampunk". I find this acceptable as a representative of Jesus Christ.

 

The work is great, and members here are actively trying to fellowship and find people in their circles of influence to invite to meet with us. But not a whole lot of traction there. It's a struggle some days.

My companion and I are great. I love her to pieces. I'll be sad when we part, whenever that is.

Macomb is a university town, through and through. Everything ebbs and flows based on the school, which is why it’s so painful that they're laying people off in droves. They seem to have a variety of programs here, but I'm not clear on what. It's got a main drag and a town square where most of the noteworthy things (that aren't on campus) happen. There's a lake pretty close where you can fish and paddle boat and picnic and stuff. It's big enough to have a Wal-Mart and a K-Mart, plus the super market chains Aldi's, Fareway, Hy-Vee, as well as a little mom and pop one (Country Market?). There's also a Walgreens here, and a car dealership and a John Deere dealership. Lots of farms in the surrounding area. The Square has a comic shop and board game shop.  Fast food, we have 2 McDonalds, a Dairy Queen, a Wendy's, a Subway, Taco Bell, Jimmy Johns (akin to Jersey Mikes), as well as a number of diner/hole-in-the-wall type joints. The Asian food here I would not touch with a 10 foot pole, but the pseudo-Italian is pretty decent. Lots of Mexican places too.

We have meals planned with members almost every night this week. Definitely spoiled.

Love

Christine

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment