Monday, April 25, 2016

new area, former companion


This week has been arguably better than last week. I’m in my new area- Macomb, Illinois. We share the ward with a set of elders, one of whom is our district leader. He’s a little older (24!) and definitely different (I can't quite gauge him other than he's very go-go-go) in the way of personality, so this should be interesting. But he aims to please, so I don’t expect it to be a conflict so much as I expect a struggle to mesh personalities well.

 

The area is not small by any means, but it is nowhere near the size of Fayette, and since we share it with the elders, it’s only half the size of the ward. We live with members, an older couple whose children are long since out of the house. They’re both on the Stake level. Very environmentally conscious and very precise about pretty much everything they do, so hopefully my controlled chaos isn’t too stressful for them.

 

Our Zone is the Nauvoo zone, and we have our district meetings every week in Nauvoo itself, so we get to see the temple every week. Unfortunately, as it’s an hour drive (and a lot of miles besides).

 

The district itself is huge- 5 sets of missionaries (normally I see 3 sets), and it used to be 6, plus the zone leaders ALWAYS come and visit.

 

My companion is Sister Carter! She’s great, I love her. We served together once before in Iowa City- it was her and Sister Dilworth who took me in when I came back out initially (in the middle of the transfer). So we’d only had 3 weeks together, but now we have another 7 (the transfer is running a week longer to accommodate the changes in the MTC)! I’m very pleased. We work well together. Sad thing is though, she goes home in the September 2nd transfer, which means she HAS to go this next transfer so I can teach someone else the area; or I HAVE to go next transfer so she can train. We’ll make the most of it.

 

The weather is getting warmer, so I’ve for the most part forgone my jackets, save in the last hour or so in the evening. Tights are gone, and likely soon I’ll be switching to my flats for most days (we just received a box of cold weather stuff). It’s expected to get REALLY hot this summer, and I’m in one of the most southern parts of the mission, so I’ll be seeing some of the stickiest, hottest, humidest (is that a real word?) times of the year. Just in time to go home. Woo. Trying not to cut all my hair off.

 

We’re working with a few people here. One is a hair stylist with a couple of kids and a husband who’s turned off to Christianity.  She’s super enthusiastic and really wants this, but hesitates to move without her husband because she wants to go together, to share this together. Her mom is also working with us, but catching her is a little more iffy. Then there are 3 friends - two girls and a guy. He’s got insomnia and very intellectually geared, so I’m excited because this is right up my alley.

 

I'm doing better. I'm getting up a little more easily/on time, and I have yet to have a particularly horrible person talk to us.

 

Love, Christine

 

No comments:

Post a Comment