Monday, April 4, 2016

Conference Weekend

(Sorry that I can't make it stand up....but you get the idea.....)

It’s been a relatively eventful week.
 
Wednesday night we left our area early to drive down to Cedar Rapids in prep for driving to Davenport, and stayed with the sisters there (we went to Red Robin for dinner- thank you dad for that. :) ).It was fun, despite me sleeping in a recliner because they had no spare mattresses (my backkkk). The next morning was the long drive to Davenport, and lots of meetings. They were good though- the first one in a while I felt like I got something (more than one something even) out of it and will be actually trying to do better in those areas using what they talked about.
 
The drive back took forever, and then we did our shopping there (yay having a real town) and the people we were supposed to have dinner with were super late, so we ended up sleeping over in Cedar Rapids again (yeah recliner again) and then driving out the next morning.
 
One bright side, our purchases included a blender and stuff for smoothie/shakes that more or less go in place of meals, so that’s what we do for breakfast. Working on the exercise part, but it’s getting better.
 
A little knocking- mostly ‘WE DONT WANT ANY' or lonely old people who just want to talk but aren't interested at in Jesus. ): We met a lady named Jingles though. She had her name legally changed to the name her husband gave her. Wild.
 
We had one lady come to conference. She slept through some of it though. Not sure how much she got out of it, but she's 91 so we're still trying to figure out if she's actually understanding anything we're teaching her or if it’s another “oh yay someone to talk to!” old person experience. ): I feel bad, and so I try not to rush out of those too fast, but we're not really fulfilling our purpose by just shooting the breeze.
 
(General Conference is our semi-annual meeting where the leadership from Salt Lake speaks to the members world wide. They counsel and encourage us.  See all of their talks HERE.)
Speaking of conference, wow. What an experience. Elder Hales isn't looking so good, and President Monson doesn't sound so good either (but at least he didn't crumple on the stand again)... I wonder if we'll be seeing some seats changing come next conference. I liked a lot of talks (my notebook is pretty full), but it definitely made me trunky (the feeling of wanting to "pack your trunk and go home"....homesickness).
 
Humorous moments- we were in an old folks home talking to one of our members when a lady had a glass of chocolate milk in front of her. She looked at it, puzzled, looked at the nurse, then back at it, and asked "Is it medicine?" It was quite clearly chocolate milk. "No. It's chocolate milk." She went on about medicine for a while. I don't know that she ever actually drank it.
 
Jingles also told us that what we Americans call Canadian Geese, Canadians call American Geese, and it turns out we're all wrong, they're North American Geese. There was some debate as to what Mexicans call them. Who knows.
 
We've been teaching the Addiction Recovery Program lately, and while it’s been a joy to see the progress in the people we teach it to, it’s not something I want to deal with in my life. This is too much for me. I'm out.
 
Today we're going to the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, which is in the area next to us. So we got permission to go. It won't be as cool, because the corn isn't up yet, but it’s there and open to the public, and my companion is all about that baseball life so it’s a must see I guess. Pictures next week on that.
 
Attached is a cut out we found in front of a tiny church along our drive to Davenport.
 
All my love.
 
Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment