Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Pictures!

Kurt Dilworth Carter
Sisters and Elders.... Kinda looks like Christine and her crew.  Yup, she owns the place.




California Ave.....homesick or feeling at home?

Here's a picture of my companions and I....and the Elders who share the ward (congregation).
Things are going okay here. We've been doing a LOT of finding. Lots and lots of knocking doors, talking to people on the street, and digging through our area book to find those people that sisters have spoken to before and might be interested in learning more. We've found several potential investigators that way, but this next week will tell if they are actually ready or not. One lady foiled us by hollering about a wasp behind my companion and shut the door while we were distracted. ): Rude. S. Carter is afraid enough of bugs without stuff like that.
Our current pool of investigators is still struggling a bit. The teenager we have been trying to work with is likely moving (her mom broke up with her other half and it looks like they won’t be able to stay in the place they're at).  Bummer.
The weather is beginning to shift. It’s been in the high 60s/low 70s this week, so I'm actually beginning to wear my warmer shirts and things. Not enough for jackets yet (though always need a jacket for the church building- man they keep that thing cold!)... (I understand!)
Speaking of the church building, fun fact- they regularly do Spanish and French translations for sacrament meeting, and even have a dedicated Spanish class in our ward (congregation). With the number of immigrants from South America and Africa, language often comes up as a barrier in teaching. My companions have been sort of self-teaching Spanish, but I just have no head for it right now it seems. I can get every 3rd word or so, but I don't know enough to string any semblance of words together to communicate anything back.
(I wonder how fluent she'll be by the time she gets home.....)

Did you know they actually do not have sprinklers in any of the lawns here in Iowa? They don't need it. D:  (oh..... so jealous.....)

Good luck with Wood Badge! It sounds like while it’s going to be a lot of work, you're going to have a lot of fun. (Mom and Dad will get some big-deal Boy Scout training soon, called Woodbadge)
My week has been pretty good all things considered. Most people don't yell at us, but a lot of them are at best coldly civil. Not too hard on the patience though. If they don't want this thing that will make them happier, fine. 
 We had a lady who apparently had met with the missionaries before and all but admitted it was all true- she kept saying "I'm a Lutheran and I'm going to stay a Lutheran"... Change is hard, but that’s what the Lord asks us to do.

Love, Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment