Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Buckets and Baptists


A part of me misses COC. I definitely could have used some of the skills I'm picking up her, in school. It probably would have saved me a lot of time and tears. (I wonder what skills she means, in particular…?)
 
We did get out pizza and candy, and homemade caramel apples. MOST EXCELLENT. All missionaries were grounded the night before and the night of Halloween, so one of the members came and collected us (we were allowed out if we were with members) and we played card games the whole night.
Thank you both for trying for the buckets! (Mom and Dad tried HARD to get McDonalds “Book of Life” kid-meal buckets at her request – Dad was able to get ONE! ) The movie trailer was stunning (I would recommend seeing it), and the buckets themselves looked pretty cool, so I'm excited.
I was sitting in Sunday School yesterday and definitely had this weird feeling like I was going to Bakersfield or Barstow or some other desert town in California... Like I was going to be traveling soon. I wonder if I'll get moved this next transfer. I don't know. It was really surreal, because I know I'm not going to be seeing either of those places for like 2 years.
We have two investigators on date, April and Marcelus. They're both pretty cool people. A couple of our investigators we didn't get to see this week, and we got a new one. Her name is Maria and she's a little older. She's Baptist and believes in the gift of tongues in that way I normally associate with Pentacostals. Pretty wild stuff. She's willing to check out our church if we go check out hers. I'm excited because she really knows her Bible (even if she missed some of the important things), so we'll have some exciting discussions. Lots more knocking, and looking for less active members to go talk to.
We were invited into this Baptist family's house, and had some interesting discussions. The dad was pretty sure that all those who never had the chance to hear about Christ just went straight to Hell. Sad way to think. The mom definitely realized there were a few holes and problems with the way she believed but wasn't willing to give us any ground. She said she'd talk to her pastor because he was 'a learned man'. I definitely bit my tongue when I had the thought that so were the Pharisees and Scribes. But she wouldn't let us leave our number if she had more questions, so I hope that another missionary comes her way at some point.
It's been up and down with my companion. We have these moments where we clash- I make too much commentary in places that it’s probably not totally necessary, and I do a couple of things in a very different way than she does when it comes to the work. But it gets dropped pretty quickly and we're making it work. It's mostly a good companionship, and we have unity when it matters. (That's my girl! )
Anyhow, thank you for taking care of my glasses (we ordered new ones for her; a second set, as a back up), silly things like McD's buckets and such.
Attached are pictures of me in my gloves and hat in the leaves, my owl decal, a silly shirt in Nauvoo, and Saber (the little figurine that Katie bought for her) in a dice box. She's already getting a little wear and tear and so is safer in there.  (I'll post the other ones later).

I love you guys lots and think of you often.
Christine


Owl gloves, beanie, and real Fall leaves! 

Real seasons! Soon to be real cold!

One of the childrens church songs is "Give, said the Little Stream..."

No comments:

Post a Comment