Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Last letters from the MTC

Today our family received 4 letters from Christine: one for each of the three siblings and one for the family.  The family letter is posted here.

Dear family,

Thank you for the letters and emails and candy and such - mail time is the best time, and I appreciate the things sent.  I feel loved!  Thank all the people who signed that card for me (her dad brought a card to Young Mens/Boy Scouts and Young Womens - the youth programs at church - all the leaders and parents that he could find to sign the card) - I need their love and support.

Things are getting better for me here.  Having a calling helped (she was made Training Leader and had young new Sisters in her care) and getting mail helped.  Turning to the Lord and catching the Spirit has helped.  I'm still struggling, but it's getting better.  I'm excited to get in the mission field and use what I've learned in the MTC.

I'm hopeful that I'll love the people and corn and the work.  I'm still not sold on the state of Iowa, but I am there for the people, not for me.

Prayed about my anguish over language and mission zones (she was REALLY hoping to serve in a foreign country, barring that, she wanted to at least learn a language if she were to serve in the states.  She was disappointed to not be assigned with either of those things.  She knew, though, that ultimately, the Lord would place her where she needed to be, when she needed to be there.  Our family agrees that the famously stubborn Iowa people would best be taught by someone who spoke their particular language!), have been comforted, and got the promise that if I worked hard on learning a language when I get home, I would get help...so I'm really pumped to come home and learn German and Japanese.

I love you.  I miss you.  Extra love to mom who is extra sad in my absence.  Extra love to dad who has been supportive and loving.  Love to my brothers and love to my sister.  Tell me about what's happening at home.  I love the mail!

Christine

(She tried to send a few photographs before leaving the MTC, but the computer didn't want to download them.  Hopefully, next time she'll get on a computer, it will be more cooperative!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear she is feeling better. Missions are really really HARD! And at the same time really really REWARDING. She will come home in love with Iowa, it being the "Best mission in the world." It will forever have a big place in her heart, because we come to love those whom we serve. Interesting point of view about Iowans being stubborn and being taught in their own language. I would have felt disappointed not being assigned to learn a language, too, so I get it. Some missionaries are relieved to not have to learn a language while others want to learn one. How great that she got a promise of help for afterward.

    ReplyDelete