Monday, October 5, 2015

A new companionship!


her beautiful braid again

OWL jammies!

Sisters Kurt and Marsh - they both look happy!
(General) Conference was really good. One of the newly called Apostles was supposed to be our speaker in a couple of weeks, so I'm going to guess that’s going to be changed, but it would be super cool to meet him (Renlund I think)... Some of it I found really inspiring. (General Conference is a twice-a-year worldwide gathering of the highest leaders of the church - they speak to us and teach us how to be better followers of Jesus Christ.  Listen to Conference HERE - stream to listen, watch, or download video, audio, or PDF)
I'm sure the movie is priceless. Cubs are a special bunch. (Mom, the Den Leader, made a movie with the Cub Scouts representing points of the Scout Law)
Looking forward to pictures of all the improvement stuff! The house will be so different by the time I get back.
I did end up getting pretty sick but not enough to stop working... just enough to look pathetic at every door we came to. Wooo.
My new companion is doing well. Occasionally she has moments where she's lost or discouraged (this area is particularly rough - we STILL haven't had any real investigator lessons),  and my being sick hasn't done her any good, but she's adjusting quickly and we get along super well. She did a study abroad in Japan (JEALOUS) and she worked at a boy scout camp (incidentally, with her mom) for a couple of years (both her parents are school teachers)...
Speaking of the work, lots more knocking, lots more rejections. Some are definitely more polite about it than others and I do appreciate the ones that have conversations with us before sending us on our way. Normally the conversationalists are very polite, ask us where we're from and stuff. I guess those ones are little more familiar with missionaries, but don't want to hear about our church regardless. It’s also really interesting to meet people who have lots of good things to say (they're the nicest, politest people I've ever worked with!) but still won't try to find out why/get that happiness for themselves. Logic at its finest?
(Last year they receive LOTS of Halloween candy, so I inquired as to whether or not I should send some.) I don't know how much love we'll get here from the members, but candy is always welcome. We figured we'd at least wait until all the candy went on sale at Walmart in Nov.
On a side note, we went shopping today- got a nice set of pans for 35$ (they were on sale from 70$ and are Farberware and steel, so it seemed good) so we don't have to try and brave the Teflon-flaking plans, so I can try and make wonton soup! Now I know why you had so much Bok Choy- they only come in the big bushels. Hm. Hopefully it goes well, because you end up with a lot of supplies for it! There's an Asian market too, so we found us some miso paste.
Please send us recipes for udon!  They sell udon noodles at the asian market. Specifically, any with Shrimp (my companion loves shrimp, but I am way okay with chicken too)... Anything that sounds relatively reasonable to make on the supplies list. As it is, I have sesame oil, oyster sauce and miso paste now, it'd be cool if we could use some of those too. (so, that's what I'll do this week!) 

Love,   Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment