Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Snow and knocking


Sounds like so much is going on with the scouts! (We tell her about Cub trips and our adventures in teaching other leaders)  I wish I could be more involved in the scouting here- it looks like they're pretty gungho. But alas.

We see many cats, and I try to give them an extra pet for the cats back home... It's weird not getting to go home. I have a year, almost to the day! That's ridiculous, and a little surreal.

Things are still relatively rough here. We haven't been able to visit our investigators on date, as Michelle is now working full time, and while that’s a blessing for their family, that makes it hard to meet with us right now. Hopefully things will settle in enough for us to visit. We've spent a lot of time knocking, and visiting less-actives. Trying hard to reactive right now.  We talked to a less active the other day who told us the reason she doesn't go is because the church asked too much of her time. Woops. While on the other hand, we see strong, faithful families keeping strong and passing that legacy on to their children and whoever else they get to work with.

We have two new investigators, a pair of cousins. Both are 8 years old, and very enthusiastic about talking about Jesus. Their family attends a Pentecostal church, so we're expecting to hear speaking in tongues soon. The dad of one of them let us in, but he disappeared after telling us that they believe that God is one being, not 3. I was somewhat disappointed that he didn't stick around, because I wanted to talk to him about that. Oh well. They both want to be baptized, but I don't know if they totally understood the authority thing. So we'll likely go over again. I'm hoping the family will start sitting in with us, so we can start teaching, but grandma also made herself scarce after we settled in and started trying to talk to her, too. I'm not sure how long the two will stay investigators with this background. But we're hoping their enthusiasm will pull their family in. We hope to find more investigators.

We have a couple of potentials we're trying to work with, but there's a HUGE problem with people calling back. It’s just the polite thing to do, and no one does it. Ughhh.

It started snowing yesterday, much to my dismay. But it is warm enough for it to melt during the day and then turn to ice at night. So I'm especially displeased. But we have 4-wheel-drive and I drive like a little old lady when there's ice/snow on the ground, sooooo. The natives can tough it out. (Keep driving like an old lady!  Yes!  No trips to the hospital, please!!)

We also have a washer. Just a washer. No dryer. The dryer we got was a gas dryer, which does us no good (no hook-up, I guess), so just a washer. The washer hadn't been used in a year, so it was pretty dank (any tips on how to help that? We ran it a couple times and wiped out most of the strange debris and lint we found in it), but it seems all good (I sent some solutions in a paper letter). Also any tips on how to get a bathroom to smell less like Comet after you've used it? (Not sure about that one) I'm probably not ever going to use that cleaner again (the apartment just happened to have a bottle of it), because the smell lingers and it’s not a good one.

I don't think I mentioned this, but the beds we have here are memory foam, which is super awesome, but I impressively still wake up tight and sore. Hrm. Something's definitely wrong with me.

Anyhow, the Gospel's true. The Atonement works for those who seek to use it. The Church is true, despite the imperfect people in it.

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment